Friday, August 24, 2007

Time flies

Hey everyone,

Times flying fast as i spend my last days in Singapore for a long time to come. I did have big plans for this blog of mine but I just don't seem to find the time and creativity to fill in.

It was a big relief for me after I passed my Class 5 oral examinations in the first attempt itself. It was both relief and a lot of happiness as i had put in a lot of hard work into it. i jus thought it would be prudent of me to list out the questions asked by my examiner during my orals. The orals lasted for about 3 and a half hours and he asked me the following:

  1. Pre departure checks in the engine room and preparation of the main engine for departure.
  2. Maintaining a safe watch in the engine room.
  3. Hydraulic circuit for Steering Gear along with explanation for pump actuation and emergency steering.
  4. Diagram of OWS and special areas under MARPOL Annex I.
  5. Diagram of a generator fuel pump (bosch type), the fuel metering principle (use of rack) and methods of adjusting the fuel pump timing.
  6. Diagram of the Main Engine Fuel Oil Service System and the purpose of the mixing chamber.
  7. Diagram of a Boiler Reflex Type gauge glass.
  8. Procedure for blowing through a boiler gauge glass.
  9. Procedures for Enclosed Space entry.
  10. Procedures for performing hotwork.

The questions seem less but the answers arent that small. Anyways with some good luck and i guess some good answers i managed to pass the orals and officially became a 4th engineer.

As i am in the dual officer programme of A P Moller Singapore, the Class 3 exam is still left to be conquered. So all of you out there, wish me all the best because i would be needing all of it.

Will try to give a better post next time. Its 6:31 in the morning and i guess i should be going off to sleep.

Until next time!!

No comments: